Supporting by Arts Council England, this exciting project aims to lay the foundations for a new, more sustainable future for the Museums of Torbay.
The three accredited museums of Torbay, Torre Abbey, Torquay Museum and Brixham Heritage Museum are a significant cultural, community and economic resource situated in the 2nd largest population centre in Devon.
Working together, we intend to grow our value to our communities and economy, understand our audiences better and increase their range and spread by developing a range of exhibitions, events and education programmes. We make significant changes to the way we operate to ensure that our business planning and operational facilities are fit for the 21st Century. This project will play a major part in setting us on that ambitious change programme.
Over the next two years, this project will be:
- Undertaking a strategic review of museum provision in Torbay including an options appraisal for future governance models and organisational resilience in Torbay to inform the wider work on the Torbay Cultural Strategy.
- Consolidating new membership schemes and IT and systems for Torbay Museums to improve efficiencies, financial controls and reporting.
- Developing a fund-raising strategy for the Museums of Torbay that potentially includes business membership and corporate hire schemes, on-line giving and campaigning.
- Implementing an environmental sustainability strategy, establishing the museums of Torbay as exemplars of best practice in the use of renewable heating, energy generation and energy conservation.
- Developing an innovative and engaging 3 year programme for Torbay’s Museums in partnership with organisations across the South West, incorporating exhibitions, activities and events.
- Consulting with teachers and learners locally to carry out a qualitative study of teachers to examine how Torbay’s museums can more effectively support teaching and learning, particularly in the science agenda.
- Developing the Museums’ Geohub educational outreach programme for children and young people, working with PlayTorbay, TCCT and the Geopark and others to connect with disadvantaged communities and tourists.
- Developing a cohort of volunteers to help deliver outreach and in-museum programmes, relating in particular to the Geopark.
- Developing digital resources, with a new unified web portal for all Torbay’s museums linking to the Torbay Tourism Company and Creative Torbay.